On tomorrow's pages

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Meet your client

I wake up to the sounds of the house. Everybody else seems to be wide awake at this time, only I still have sleep in my eyes. Blue sky that the half-open window framed in a half-closed way. The objects of the room. The mild and sober decoration, probably put together by Aparecida. Everything here seems to have been decorated by a woman, delicate details here and there, small objects of decoration everywhere.

A mild sound of someone knocking on the door takes me away from my reflections. Aparecida comes to call me for breakfast. She looks cheerful with the new day, though it is the same as yesterday. She seems to be happy to be back at home.

Considering that it is the kind of traditional family where everybody eats together at table, I assume this is when I'll get to meet my new client. Aparecida confirms that, says they are only waiting for me to have the meal, what lends me a sense of urgency in coming down for breakfast. At the table, they are all together. There is a huge silence when I walk in, interrupting the chat of the father and the sons.

"Sons, I want you to meet Ms. Grisam. She is staying with us here for some time."

The kids were looking at me. If there was going to be a reaction it would take long. The older kid looked like he was fifteen years old. He stood up and greeted me. The younger one greeted me but didn't move from his seat.

"Andrés, you're not being polite. This is not how we brought you up, so stand up and greet her again." Duílio looked slightly annoyed.



"…I like to talk about cows and calves too."

Andrés



I was silent. The situation is embarrassing. I can't even say I don't care if he stands up or not, since it is part of families' upbringing and one should never interfere in that whatever reason we might have or think we have. It doesn't matter whether or not the visitor cares. One can't interfere in these moments of children's education. Andrés stood up, but it was plain he'd choose not to - as he did. He greeted me again and I was quick to try and make him feel relaxed. I suggested we all took seats, what we did quickly. Presto I have just met my client.

"What were we talking about?", asked Aparecida, setting the morning chat in motion.

Adriano laughed.

"About Andrés' favorite subject",

"Yours too, no?", retorted Andrés.

Handsome lads and their deep beautiful voices. Andrés especially has a deeper tone in his voice someone his age would. He looks curious at me sometimes, or at least with a curious, inquisitive expression in his eyes. Wishing to say more to them than just a "good morning" and curious about his favorite subject (though I had an idea what it was according to Duílio's description), I took my chances and asked him what the subject was.

"Cattle, bulls, cattle-raising. Bulls, cattle-raising, cattle. Cattle-raising, cattle, bulls. In no particular order.", cut Duílio ironically, ruining my first attempt at communicating with my newly-found client.

Andrés looked at him.

"You forgot to say I like to talk about cows and calves too", he said timidly.

"Yup, I'm really forgetful."

We laughed not at Duílio's retort but at the kid's naiveté. I did too, but much more timidly than the others (a La Gioconda-like seizure of laughter), but Andrés didn't. Adriano stroked his head but he was quick and abrupt to move his head out of his brother's reach. He was silent while the last giggling dissolved into what would be another minute of silence, where only cups and saucers had a dialogue.

"What do you do in Santos?", asked Andrés.

"I work with children and teenagers."

Wow, what a chance for socialization. I now wait for a reaction.

"Isn't it forbidden for children to work?"

Aparecida and I didn't laugh this time, though both father and brother did. Taking no notice this time, the kid waited for me to answer looking fixedly at me. His look had something defiant within, as much as it was cold; yet strangely it conveyed a sincere eye-to-eye attitude I have always admired in my clients.

"They don't work. I am the one who works, they need my help", I explained.

"Help with what?"

"For instance, if they feel sad aggressive and need to tell someone their problems, I'm the one who'll be there for them."

Andrés looked at his parents. For a moment, it was like he had understood everything. Like my presence here, for instance; not that it was a secret what I came for in Taurinos. He didn't say a word, at least not there.

Taurinos | Shadows of huge trees around

Radio Universal: A Love Like Blood

No comments: