On tomorrow's pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Mountain ranges

I found this lyric on the internet today. I remembered Andrés' declaration somewhere, something about destroying the evil seeds or anything to that effect. It brought this lyric back to my memory, written by Paulo César Pinheiro for the music of Sueli Costa.

"I want to have the sensation of mountain ranges collapsing over the innocent crawling flowers. I want to see the suicides' procession, walking toward death for the sake of our own lives. I want to believe in the solution of the gospels, submitting our young to the power of our elders. I want to read the heart of the commanders, sentencing their soldiers for the orgy of those who'll fake. I just want to be naturally cruel, and find out where Evil grows and destroy its seed. I want to be part of the great myth legion, turning the youth into an army of the afflicted. I want to witness the ascension of Iscariot, and on Saturday a Jesus crucified on every post. I want to read in the consecration of the standards a phrase written with fire by the fist of god Mars."

Mountain Ranges. Written by Paulo César Pinheiro and Sueli Costa.

Looking at the lyric in detail it seemed to have so much in common with everything I have been living through these days here. Things in common or not, it has always fascinated me with its aggressiveness. The elegia to brutality, to violence and oppression read between the lines as being completely opposed to all imagery it deals with is something that has always attracted me and will still attract me for years and years to come.

I showed Andrés the poem. He didn't like it. Well, sort of. The ascension of Iscariot didn't go fine with his Christian beliefs. A Jesus crucified on every post went even worse. The only parts he liked referred to the mountain ranges and the part that interested me the most was just the one that reminded me of him: "I just want to be naturally cruel, and find out where Evil grows and destroy its seed."

I commented to Andrés that the phrase he said about The Big One was what made me look up those lyrics on the net. He said that it was an presage.

"For everything I've seen, I guess you are going to be the first to find The Big One. I feel you're tuned, have felt this since you arrived."




"I just want to be naturally cruel,
and find out where Evil grows and destroy its seed."


Mountain Ranges, written by Paulo César Pinheiro and Sueli Costa.



In Duílio's car, in the afternoon. Heading for Diogo and Gustavo's family's farm. In the car there is the driver, me, Andrés and the two brothers. That are on the verge of bursting out crying. Andrés comments no one can place blame on them for reacting like this. I reflect on how much sufferance it has brought to the community itself. The ghost of The Big One's imminent apparition every time new calves are born on a town's farm. As a sword of Damocles, always pending over one's head, posing an eternal threat.

"It will have been worthwhile in the end when we lay our hands on him", Andrés embraced both brothers fraternally, a movement I took a good glance at by means of a rear-view mirror. "We will finally be able to grow like normal people would, without this fear in our future."

On the farm, silence is everywhere. We skipped the main house where their family lived, went right to the pens that, as in the Conselheiros' farm, were absurdly far from the main house. Duílio was the only one to stay in the car. We walked to the barn very carefully. The door opened and the darkness usually found in such places involved us all. A calm atmosphere. Light dripped from a very high window, the only source of natural light available there.

"Feels calm, doesn't it?" I said to Andrés.

"Let's have a look at them lil' thingies", he replied.

Diogo and Gustavo made no moves. It was too fearless for their tastes to even be in the barn with the cow and the calves. Andrés and I approached the animals guardedly. He told me to only pay attention to the bull calves, nothing else. Whatever strange thing I noticed on one of them could be the sign. He said that calm atmospheres would usually suggest there was no problem around, but they could be deceitful too. I caught myself thinking what arts and crafts could the entity they called The Big One make use of to avoid being tracked down by men.

"I can't see anything different or abnormal on these animals", I declared, "as far as I can see, they are just inoffensive little animals, nothing else."

"No bulls from Taurinos are inoffensive, Ms. Grisam", he disagreed, "but you're right, there's nothing new or strange here."

The brothers now smiled as if they had been rescued from Dante's Inferno. In the car I thought once again about the shade of fear that is inflicted upon the town. Violence and fear, hand in hand as the car ran to leave the brothers safe and sound at their home. For the moment, at least.

Obscurity | Man and boy

Radio Universal: A Love Like Blood

No comments: