On tomorrow's pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The age of consent

Movement at Taurinos' city limits. People coming by car, people from other cities, not many, but presences anyhow. They come in like gypsies and put up their tents on the farm Teixeira. Bring terraria as Renan's, full of exotic animals from ecosystems so far away from Brazil. Serpents, lizards, fowls, mammals and what not. For now, three tents, each taken from a different car. Two come from São Paulo, one from Belo Horizonte.

"Who are these people?", I ask and Donana tells me they're coming for the championship held by Renan, that will dominate the weekend in Taurinos. She tells me somehow the boy managed to get support from the Town Hall for his project and more make it coincide with the city festival to be held on the same weekend.

"And what is his championship about?", I asked Donana as though I had no idea what it really was about. She gave me the same answer as Guilherme, when asked the same question.

"And what do you think of this kind of activity?"

Donana looked at me with sincerity in the eyes of a country boy's mother, "I think I prefer to see him doing that to animals than to people, if you ask me, Stella."

The people of the tents. Teenagers that have recently reached the age of consent driving minors and exotic animals to the competition. Some tattoos, lots of piercings and some ear lobe gauges, a tribe that is increasingly less bizarre and more common in big cities. Here they are viewed with astonishment by the small and secluded community of Taurinos.

Waiting to be woken | These tiny little monsters

Radio Universal: A Love Like Blood

No comments: