On tomorrow's pages

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Night dreams

Night before day breaks. I'm lying in my bed thinking of madness. Mine, the others' so many different madnesses. So many different ways to see life, I don't know how many any longer. I hear a noise out there. Strange noise. There is someone walking across the porch coming close to my window. This I can feel in my bones.

I get up, astonished and go to the window. Look through the gaps of the blinds, but there is no one out there. I feel a cold touch on my shoulder that sends shivers up and down my spine. The shadow. Constant companion for these days. I turn around slowly, expecting to see something, but couldn't even see my hand in front of my face so dark it was. And once more there is nothing behind me.

"Ms. Grisam! Here!"

I look through the blinds again and see Anderson outside. And he is not alone: Andrés is there too with him. It's well past one, what are these lads doing so far away from home at this time at night?

Through the window, I see Anderson point at my bed. I turn around, turn on the lamp and look at the bed. My goodness. I'm lying in the bed in the same position I was before I came to window. It's a lucid dream. The two are not outside home. Only their ideas are here. Or what people call astral bodies.

I sat in the bed with them and they said it was something they expected. Being that we have been linked to each other by dreams for the whole of the week, the fact of us meeting in a dream is just a consequence of what has been going on with us.

"Renan Augusto won't take long to show up" and Andrés laughed loud. I told him not to make noises so as not to wake the others and he said there was no one in the house.

"Of course there is, everyone went to bed more or less at the same time."

"This is a dream, remember? If you don't believe me, take a look at the other bedrooms."

There was really no one at the house. I looked in all of the bedrooms and what is better, didn't even need to open any door. It had been long since I last gave myself to the madness of a lucid dream. My experiments with the folks of Projeciology came back to my mind at that very instant. All I think of doing is already being done. I go back to my room where the two lads are waiting for me.

"Now what? What's next?"

Downtown at night. No one at the main square. Only the night sounds of crickets and the ubiquitous frog percussion ensemble everywhere. Andrés had his fun collecting some of the little frogs from small swamps around. He was as skillful at catching the little animals as he was at letting them escape. Suddenly he let go of a frog and looked at the gazebo at the center of the square.

"Isn't that the dead man we saw over there being removed?"
.
I turned to the gazebo just in time to see the man. We saw Renan coming near him and rubbing the stiletto in his belly. The guy was really too drunk to react, as Renan had said. We saw it a different angle this time. Anderson motioned to go there and interfere, but I told him there was nothing he could do. What he was seeing was something that remained from the event created by Renan. Such a shocking event was printed in the environment as impressions we leave in a video after the camera has finished its capture. What was not on the script was that Renan saw us at the square and came to talk to us. He surely was not a part, or was not a part anymore of the "film" I was referring to.

"So? Another one bites the dust. How did you like it?"

"I think you should never do it in daylight. That's all. Other than that we support your attitude, Renan. But you have to remember that there are children walking up and down this square every day." said Anderson concerned about his friend.

"Children like Renan and yourself? Only because you are fourteen it doesn't mean there aren't things you're too young to do. Especially these things which people should never be old enough for." I said on the top of my sarcasm.

Anderson retorted that someone had to do it since there was no police force in town. The same refrain repeated to exhaustion within my mind, the same perfect excuse. Anderson even said I should support the killing too, so that evil outsiders posed no threat for Taurinos and its peaceful people (he said it with these exact words). But I'll never get used to this death penalty tacitly and enthusiastically practiced here.

"Ms. Grisam is against me", said Renan looking at me, stretching five yards of his right arm to touch me friendly from where he was, "aren't you, ma'am?"

"Renan, you're scaring her, don't you do it", advised Andrés.

"He doesn't scare me in any way, Andrés. Believe me, I've seen worse things in life."

Penumbra in broad daylight | Eerie science

Radio Universal: Shadowplay

No comments: