On tomorrow's pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Caipora

I fought with Arthur at my gate today. Asked how he dared to forbid people to celebrate a birthday. He replied it had to be punishment, not a picnic. I reproached him harshly like master Danilo did and said he was abusing his authority. He said nothing in reply this time, but kept a good scowl at me.

I got back home only to find Arthur fallen in the sun, by the gate. I ran to him and tried to reanimate the kid, but he didn't seem to respond. I took him home and he ended up coming to on the sofa. He was confused and tried to stand up. I pushed him back to the sofa and gave him water. Asked if he had left home without breakfast. He said so. Asked why he had left home without breakfast. He said he wanted to pass out and find out if I was going to help him and how I was going to help. He was just a disgusting little brat.

I took him to the kitchen table and gave him breakfast. Not that he deserved it, but I had been real harsh on him lately. His cold sweat showed clearly it was either hypoglycemia or low blood pressure. Sometimes I have these bouts and know how helpful another person can be at these times. He bit and chewed the corn and cheese bread until he was completely breathless. I made him eat more slowly.

He seemed not to have the words to thank me when he put away the shears and got back on his horse. He disappeared on the dirt road and left me sure I had gone through another of his tests.

I told master Danilo about the incident with Arthur and he just smiled. Said that the extremes the kids could go to sometimes were really extreme. He ended up laughing. He had a parallel with the story of Arthur being knocked off by his horse, a parallel I had to agree with.

I saw this rectangular volume in master Danilo's shirt pocket and asked him if he had really bought the cigarettes. He smiled and showed me the pack of Souza Paiol he had bought at Souza's. Very, very Mineiro of him, I jested. Souza Paiol was a brand of Mineiro straw cigarettes rolled by machines with two rings holding the tobacco and straw together. I asked him whether he was going into the forest to try and contact the entity. He said so. I asked whether I could join him.

"Aren't you afraid?"

"I am, but I'm more curious than afraid."

He laughed and said I could go if I wished to. But said we'd have to go now, "the sun is going low, if you're going, let's take the road."

Sun was going low when we reached the track leading to the clearing we were heading for. We stopped at the same spot and sat on the ground. Master Danilo drew the pack of cigarettes from his pocket, lit one of them and smoked. He had hardly smoked it to its half when a distant whistle was heard.

"Here he comes", said the countryman calmly between his puffs.

"Do I need to close my eyes and stuff?"

"No, you probably know who's coming."

"Oh, do I?"

"Yes, it's him, but using an image you are familiar with."

"Master Danilo! You lost here again?", it was Anderson's voice again.

"I'll be lost only if I hear your voice", replied master Danilo, winking at me as if he spoke in the distance with an old friend.

The clicking sounds of dry leaves being trodden came in a crescendo. When he became visible among the trees, it was no one else but Anderson in a casual wear. He looked at me and master Danilo ans sat down on the ground with us.

"So you ended up bringing cigarettes", and he smiled.

Master Danilo took a cigarette out of the pack and gave it to him. He lit his with Master Danilo's and smoked with him. Master Danilo was already in his third cigarette. There was a pause. "Anderson" looked at me and revered me as the Creator of Taurinos and all its vicinities. I was embarrassed, but made use of the opportunity to talk to him.

"You got powers you don't know. You should fasten your hair, it'd would make you prettier."

He went away and took the pack of cigarettes with him. Master Danilo and I still lingered on at that spot. We were in silence, but understanding everything around us. Or almost everything.

"Why do you think he said that to me?"

"I think he has good hints to give you. And if a creature from the forest gave you that hint you should use it. Think about what he said."

No comments: