On tomorrow's pages

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Perfect pitch

Anderson was the last to arrive for the meeting. We met in the Mithraeum on account of the arguments and fights of the lads yesterday on Basilisk Island. Being the Mithraeum a neutral field, I hoped we could solve the enigma of the bell together. We started by telling Adriano, Arthur, Bruno and Guilherme what happened. Renan even told the others about Andrés' experience at the spot where Anderson had had his initiation, what pulled shouts from the lads, much to Andrés' chagrin. He stared at Renan with that characteristic look of hatred that has always annoyed me in the boys here.

"The letters that have got hold of your names, A and R are the initials of the two flatfeet…", Bruno tried to understand.

"Flatfeet my ass! That's contempt of police authority!", Renan stood up infuriated, "watch what you say about us officers, Bruno!"

"Yes, you'd better watch…", started Anderson, but interrupted the phrase in the middle. It was plain to see that he didn't want to have the same opinion as his partner even if he had to defend himself. I found it so weird. Since the beginning I had learned that the Obscure Police had as code of honor the union of the two whatever the circumstances might be. I didn't understand the pugnacious disposition of the duo, especially that of Anderson; knew it was in part for Anderson's anger for being made a police officer before the time, but considering their code of honor, such disposition got to be absurd. I told myself I was going to watch the two more closely and try to find out what it was.

"Well, yes, the names of the police officers", Arthur cut it short, anxious to get rid of the new tide of discord, "but what is saying you like music but don't understand it supposed to mean?"

Guilherme stared at Arthur and Renan stared at Guilherme. The latter didn't stare back at his brother maybe on account of a brooding disposition.

"The only one in this meeting that knows music is my brother", said Renan, still looking at Guilherme.

"The bell is playing the wrong note", interrupted Guilherme, "since your initiation ritual, Anderson. I told you about that but you preferred to ignore what I said."

"Impossible!", controverted Anderson, that was already getting annoyed, "I treated the bell and its bronze resonating surface all the time so that the note could sound right; it can't be playing the wrong note. I'm smart for these things, I make no mistakes, Guilherme!"

It might sound pretentious, but it was not. Not when it concerned Anderson, I found out. But if Anderson hadn't made any mistake in the casting of the bell what in the world might have gone wrong?

"The issue is not in the bell or in its bronze, Anderson; I know that if it was you who made it it couldn't have gone wrong. The issue is in the tolling speed of the bell. It's like those old school records that slow down. The note is coming down because of the speed, dude. Right now I can hear it in F."

"Hey, wait, could Guilherme hear the bell since the beginning?", I asked without understanding anything, "weren't only the entrants supposed to hear it?"

Renan explained that Guilherme could hear any sound, even a glass breaking and tell what note it produced when breaking. He could, still according to Renan, hear even the sounds we couldn't. This was called perfect pitch. Though I was astonished I didn't waste time complaining they had never brought up that subject. I had already learned it was useless to do.

"The sound of the bell doesn't disturb me, Miss Grisam", he said, "I can make the sound appear or disappear from my attention at will."

How weird. I wouldn't have pictured that in a million years. I remember that during the ritual he cited a song by Guilherme Arantes, even knowing he couldn't speak. That reflected a certain fanaticism for music, a side of him I positively didn't know. I did understand his presence in my house with his violin.

"What happened to you when you said that what the entrant said was the words to a Guilherme Arantes' song?", upon hearing my question, at my side, Anderson strangely trembled and started coating himself with cold sweat.

"I got a kick on my back from the outside of the outer circle", he replied without facing his younger brother who stared at him, "yes that served you fine", added Renan, laughing in sheer delight as he had on that same fateful day, "I still feel a bit of pain on my back and have some nightmares with that to this day, if you ask me."

I can imagine. Having followed the rules myself it has been a nightmare to me, I can only figure what it's been for him who broke one of them. Andrés said it was good talk but we were going a bit too off-topic for that particular meeting. Master Danilo approved of Andrés admonition, glancing at me. Anderson too gazed at me the strangest way I had ever seen. I had seen that look before. I only didn't remember where, but knew it was something very close to the issue we were discussing there.

It was decided by the Council that Guilherme would go to Basilisk Island with us instead of Andrés this time. Adriano got out of the meeting as silent as he had entered it. Had I never seen him before I'd not know what his voice sounded like.

No comments: