On tomorrow's pages

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Rain

Today the sky was overcast. Rain, heavy rain we hadn't seen here for a while started to come down. It rained so little in Taurinos that every rain here was considered a supernatural phenomenon.

It was me, Andrés and master Danilo at my porch, watching the rain fall. Last I did it it was a mysterious night when the men from the farm Taurinos went out to dig big holes into the ground. I'd never forget that night whose rain lent it an aura of even greater mystery.

"I asked the Celestial Gardener to make it rain a bit. It's going to rain to the end of the afternoons", assured Andrés.

"It's easy to be a Mayor when you have such influential friends in town", I jested at Andrés. Far from feeling embarrassed, he winked at me with a mischievous, sly expression on his face.

"When do the scouts arrive, "sêo" Andrés?", asked master Danilo.

"Tomorrow morning", and Andrés stared at the rain.

I had even forgotten about the scouts. Only the latest incident with the Obscure Police was enough to distract me from everything else. But things were still going on at their normal pace though I never noticed it easily.

Speak of the devil. The Obscure Police showed up out of the blue. I asked them if they hadn't anything better to do on a Sunday than going out in the rain to hunt down entrants. The two were annoyed as hell with me firstly because they were all wet from the rain, secondly because they thought I was continually getting at them. They were criticizing me most of the time and they did criticize Andrés too. Only master Danilo escaped the stream of complaints from the two officers. Then they were quiet, sat down at the porch with us and were staring at the rain for lost time. Somehow the Obscure Police seemed to enjoy my house.

No comments: