On tomorrow's pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Read only

The good thing about the lads is that they decided to bet their chips on the dreaming sessions. Mind you, it happens in a moment nothing else is going on, a moment of apparent tranquility that leaves me even more nervous than the confusion that sometimes sits somewhere upon this mountain. As if the silence and quietness of everyone hid something brewing inside, one of those typical mayhems of the town as some of those I have narrated here on this weblog.

The six lads are on the porch of this farm Teixeira this morning. Bringing me in their eyes like they were analyzing an insect never seen before. I ask them whether they know when their classes are being resumed. They reply they have practically lost the whole of the year, as the school's re-open seems to be nowhere in sight in a short-term. The school has been shelter for the whole of the families since they lost their houses during the Law of the Bulls in early March and will have nowhere to go while their homes aren't re-bulit. The answer has been the same since the Law of the Bulls and will probably be the same for some good time to come.

"We're exactly the way you dreamed", said Renan all of a sudden.

There was a pause. Yes, exactly the way I dreamed. I remember how it all has happened since the beginning. I was home when the phone rang. A man with a Mineiro accent called me to speak about his son. It was Duílio, father of Andrés and Adriano, wanting to talk about problems he was having with his youngest son. So he suggested I came to Taurinos to follow him more closely so as to have a more accurate idea of what was going on inside him. What has brought me here to all I have lived through since I first set foot in town, without being any more able to leave town for more than 40 days, all of this.

"Do you remember if you were on your bed when the telephone rang?", asked Bruno, as though it were something of utmost importance.

I tried to think back to the moment, but nothing occurred to me. I remembered calling Meire on that day. Right before the phone rang with Duílio on the other side of the wire.

"Meire was very angry on that day, wasn't she? Because of the talk you two had about the Mexican boy", asked Adriano, turning his eyes to the others before bringing them on me.

I felt like I had been struck by lightning. Where did he know Meire from? How could Adriano ever know about it? I had never even said Meire's name in town. Let alone the talk about the Mexican boy. I told him I had never commented about it, so how could he know? That reinforced my theory about him having extrasensorial perception, as though it weren't evident enough.

Adriano seemed confused at what he himself had just said. As though he had no clue where they had come from. As though he had just come to from a divinatory trance and had no ground to stand on now. The others looked at me as if they were on the verge of whistling to disguise a feeling of embarrassment. I couldn't get him to tell me where he got that notion from, but because he truly didn't seem to know that himself. Yes, there was a genuine feeling of confusion in him - the boys could disguise lots of things, but some of them are perceived clearly to be true, without any signs of mischief or falsehood.

"Do you know Meire too?"

"Who the heck is Meire?", it was Adriano himself who asked.

"Hell, I thought you'd tell me since you brought this all up yourself…"

"Is she your friend?", asked Andrés calmly, as though he contemplated his elder brother's secret skills.

Told them who she was and they were looking at me and at each other for ages. I hate it when they do it. Simply hate it.

Something weird |

Radio Universal: Shadowplay

No comments: